Amaranth/Rajgira Vegan Protein Balls Recipe
We’re collaborating with Sangeeta Khanna, a cuisine and nutrition consultant of Health Food Desi Videshi to create a series of recipes for Conscious Cookbook. This time, she has created a Vegan Protein Ball recipe using our Amaranth Seeds and Palm Jaggery.
Amaranth contains a complete range of essential amino acids and is therefore considered a complete protein.
It is easy to cook and becomes super versatile once cooked. Below is the recipe for Vegan Protein Balls that can be had for breakfast or as a filling snack.
Basically your go to protein fix that is full of good proteins, fats, fibres and healing spices to keep you energetic throughout the day!
Serves 12 large protein balls
- ¼ cup amaranth seeds
- ½ cup water
- A pinch of pink salt
- ¼ cup jaggery
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup white sesame seeds
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup fine grated dry coconut
- ½ tsp cassia cinnamon powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
1. Dry roast all the seeds together on a medium flame till they start crackling. Switch off the stove as soon as the seeds start popping (as they start popping violently and can get burnt quickly).
2. Cool and make a coarse powder. Reserve some roasted seeds for coating if you wish.
3. Cook the amaranth seeds with water and salt in a pressure cooker till the first whistle.
4. Add the virgin coconut oil, jaggery, mix till the jaggery dissolves.
5. Heat the mix again till it starts to bubble.
6. Add the roasted seeds powder, grated coconut and spices and mix well. If the mixture feels too sticky you can add some more seeds mix or coconut (as the stickiness will depend on humidity in your city as jaggery is hygroscopic).
7. Finally, divide the mixture into 12 portions, roll out balls and coat them with reserved roasted seeds.
8. Refrigerate and eat as desired. Keeps well for two weeks.
In case you suffer from joint pains, you can also add a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper to the recipe which will help alleviate the pain.
This recipe is unique, easy and preserves the nutrients in the ingredients, making it a definite keeper!
Shop Now -
Amarnath Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/amaranth-seed
Black Sesame Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sesame-seeds-black
White Sesame Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sesame-seeds-white
Jaggery Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/golden-sugar
Pumpkin Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/pumpkin-seeds
Cinnamon Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cinnamon-powder
Virgin Coconut Oil - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/virgin-coconut-oil