Black Rice Pudding Recipe
If you love Kheer, Payasam or Phirni, this unusual-looking pudding will be just up your street.
The toasty aroma of the black rice imparts a great flavor to the dish and works with the warm nutmeg and vanilla to produce a dessert that is deeply satisfying.
Pair with fresh fruit to make it a more elaborate dessert or replace the milk with coconut milk for another dimension of flavor.
- 1 cup Black Rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup whipped cream, for serving
- Sliced nuts for garnish
1. Wash and drain the black rice.
2. Place the rice and the water in a pressure cooker and cook until half done—two whistles followed by 2 minutes on simmer.
3. Once the pressure falls on its own, open the pressure cooker and stir once.
4. Add the milk and allow to rice to absorb the milk and come to a thick consistency. Stir occasionally to ensure the mixture does not stick to the bottom.
5. Add the raw sugar, vanilla and nutmeg and simmer for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Turn off the heat and allow the pudding to cool slightly.
6. Serve in individual bowls with a spoonful of softly whipped cream and a scattering of sliced nuts or fresh fruit.
Shop Now -
Black Rice - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/black-rice
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar