Eggless Cardamom and Ghee Cake Rusk
This a really versatile recipe—you could either stop at the cake stage and devour it as is or, if you really have the patience, proceed further to make Cake Rusk!
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- ¾ cup Raw Sugar
- ¼ cup Gir Cow Ghee
- ¼ cup yogurt (dahi)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Seeds, roughly powdered
- ¼ teaspoon Rock Salt
- First, grease and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Then, using a whisk, mix the ghee and sugar together in a large bowl until creamy.
- Next, add the yogurt and milk and mix again until the mixture is homogenous.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together—the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt. Use a whisk or fork to mix these so the mixture stays light.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients to make a smooth and creamy batter.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 30-35 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool under the fan for 15-20 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, slice into half-inch thick slices.
- Place slightly apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 140 degrees centigrade until crisp and brown (they will crisp up further as they cool, so remove them when you think they are almost completely done).
- Cool completely and store in an airtight box up to a week.