Garlic Mustard Salad Dressing Recipe
This delicious dressing is perfect for the summer. Slightly sweet, laced with garlicky flavor, and the refreshing tang of apple cider vinegar, this dressing has no shortage of character.
The honey and coconut oil work together to create a sweet fruitiness while the vinegar and lemon juice cut through and brighten up the taste.
Salads are low calorie, high fiber meals, packed with vitamins and minerals.
Even if you are not a salad lover, trying new dressings can be a great way to encourage yourself to eat healthily.
With a good dressing, a salad should be just as tasty as it is nutritious. This dressing has plenty of health benefits in and of itself.
Coconut oil is full of healthy fatty acids, mustard seeds are a source of antioxidants, and apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid which has been shown to help maintain healthy blood sugar levels
You can customize this salad entirely to your liking. Use whatever salad leaves you like: lettuce, spinach, arugula, endive, and chard all go well with this dressing.
As toppings, add chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, or sliced meat of your choice.
And for some added texture, try toasting some pumpkin seeds in a pan for a few minutes until they develop a nutty aroma.
Their rich flavor and crunchy texture will level up your salad.
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds (rai)
- 8 small curry leaves (curry patta)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Sea salt and crushed black pepper to taste
1. Heat the virgin coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, thinly slice the garlic cloves and lightly crush the mustard seeds with a mortar and pestle. The seeds should be mostly broken but not ground to a powder.
2. When the oil is hot add in the garlic, which should begin to splutter immediately. When the garlic begins to turn brown at the edges (after about a minute), add in the mustard seeds and curry leaves and mix. Let the seeds and leaves cook for about 30 seconds longer. Switch off the heat, transfer the mixture to an empty jar or bowl, and allow to cool slightly.
3. Add in the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, and mustard powder. Add ½ teaspoon of sea salt and add black pepper to taste.
4. If using a jar, close the lid and shake vigorously for one minute. If using a bowl, whisk the mixture rapidly until blended. The dressing should be thick and homogeneous. Using a food processor or blender to mix will work as well, but the garlic and curry leaves will become pureed. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
5. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to incorporate. This amount of dressing is good for about 100 grams of salad greens, enough for 1-2 servings.
Shop Now -
Virgin Coconut Oil - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/virgin-coconut-oil
Mustard Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/mustard-seeds-rai-organic
Apple Cidar Vinegar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/apple-cider-vinegar-2
Black Pepper - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/black-pepper