Herbed Breadsticks Recipe
What better than a bouquet of herbed breadsticks to go with your soups and stews? These make for great dippers if you have some spiced yogurt or salsa handy, too.
- 225 grams flour (Maida)
- 5 grams fresh or instant yeast
- 5 grams sugar
- 5 grams butter/margarine or good olive oil
- 150 milliliters lukewarm water (more or less as required)
- 2.5 grams dried herbs
1. Place the yeast and sugar in a coffee mug or small mixing bowl. Pour over the lukewarm water and mix gently. Leave in a warm spot for 5-8 minutes until frothy.
2. Place the flour, salt, herbs and butter/oil/margarine in a large mixing bowl or basin. Using the tips of your fingers, rub the fat into the flour until the mixture appears crumbly.
3. Add the yeast mixture and knead to a smooth and soft dough, adding more water if required. Knead for 3-4 minutes.
4. Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or damp muslin and leave in a warm spot to rise until double in size.
5. Knock back the dough to degas it and knead briefly. Now, pinch off small portions of the dough.
6. On a lightly floured kitchen counter or work surface, roll the balls into long and even sticks of a thickness of your liking. However, do remember that they will rise as they bake, so roll them out slightly thinner than you actually want them. The thickness of your little finger usually works well.
7. Cut each long stick into lengths of 6-8 inches.
8. Place the sticks on a greased and lined baking tray. Leave to rise for 20 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, preheat the oven.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees centigrade for 20-25 minutes or until a pale gold. Remove and cool completely before storing in an airtight tin for up to 3 weeks.
Shop Now -
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar