If you’re bored of making daal and curries from Masoor, try these English-style Pasties. They’re great when you want something Samosa-like but without the guilt—these are baked!
Ingredients for the pastry:
- 1 and ½ cups whole wheat flour (Gehun Atta)
- ¾ cup wheat bran
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil + for brushing
- Cold water
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 cup whole masoor, soaked overnight
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons roasted coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 and ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- First, make the pastry: place the flour and the bran in a large mixing bowl. Add salt to taste, ghee and oil. Rub to mix. Once mixed will, the mixture will resemble breadcrumbs and hold shape when held in a tight fist. Now, add cold water in batches and bring the mixture together to make a firm dough. Cover and leave to rest until you make the filling.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a pan and add the onions. Sauté until they turn soft. Then add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell disappears.
- Now, add the cubed potatoes and sauté until the edges of the potatoes begin to turn translucent. Then, add the tomato puree and cook for a minute.
- Add the ground spices—coriander powder, cumin powder, ground pepper, and salt. Saute well until fragrant and add then tip in the soaked masoor. Mix well and add just enough water to cover the lentils. Cover and cook until the lentils and potatoes are soft.
- Mash the lentils and potatoes slightly to get a soft texture. Turn off the flame and add the fresh coriander. Remove into a separate bowl and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, knead the rested dough briefly and pinch off lemon-sized balls. Roll each ball (no need for dusting with flour) to about 5 inches in diameter.
- Place a heaped tablespoonful of the filling on one half of the disc. Fold the other half over and press the edges to seal. Use a pastry crimper or cutter to trim the excess pastry.
- Place the pasties on a baking sheet lined with parchment (you don’t have to worry about greasing it), a little apart.
- Brush the tops with a little vegetable oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly and serve warm.
- If you need to reheat the pasties, do so in the oven instead of the microwave so you get a crisp pastry on the outside.
Shop Now -
Whole Wheat Flour - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/wheat-flour
Coriander Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/coriander-powder
Cumin Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-powder
Black Pepper - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/black-pepper