Paneer Paturi Recipe
Adapt a traditional Bengali fish recipe to a vegetarian (vegan, if you use tofu!) one and enjoy a light and flavourful meal this summer!
A barely-there drizzle of mustard oil brings a sharpness to the otherwise sparsely spiced dish, and the fresh banana leaves trap all the lovely juices in. Pair with daal-chawal or a side of salad.
- 200 grams of fresh paneer, cut into four chunks
- a small handful of fresh green coriander
- ½ cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 green chilies
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon brown mustard
- Salt to taste
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 banana leaves, central vein trimmed and cut into 4 squares large enough to wrap the paneer in
- 2-3 teaspoons mustard oil
1. Place all ingredients except the paneer, mustard oil and banana leaves in a mixer jar and grind to a coarse paste without adding any water.
2. Soften the banana leaf squares by gently moving them over a naked flame.
3. On a plate, lay one square of the leaf, light green side up. On this, spread a tablespoonful of the coconut mixture.
4. Place a chunk of paneer on the mixture and top with some more mixture.
5. Drizzle a few drops of mustard oil.
6. Fold the leaf into a neat parcel. Secure with twine or thread if required.
7. Steam for 8-10 minutes and serve hot.
Shop Now -
Mustard Oil - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/mustard-oil
Mustard Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/mustard-seeds-rai-organic