Protein-Packed Seed Bars Recipe
This bar is excellent as a nutritious start to the day, a post-workout snack, or quick bite on the go. Flax, pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame seeds together deliver a powerful combination of vital nutrients, including dietary fiber, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and plenty of protein. These seeds are among the best plant based sources of protein, and packed with many of the essential amino acids.
Though this simple recipe takes just a few minutes of hands-on preparation, the resulting flavor is deliciously complex. The sweetness and deep molasses flavor of the jaggery pairs perfectly with the earthiness of the cinnamon and nuttiness of the seeds. These bars make for a great energy boost at the start of the day, but are so portable that they make a great snack anytime and anywhere. Just wrap them up and head out.
- 45 grams pumpkin seeds
- 45 grams sunflower seeds
- 30 grams sesame seeds
- 40 grams slivered almonds
- 24 grams ground flax seeds
- 60 grams fresh shaved coconut
- Salt to taste
- 4 cm cinnamon stick
- 100 grams sugarcane jaggery
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
1. Add the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, slivered almonds, ground flax seeds, and shaved coconut to a bowl and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt. If you have whole flax seeds be sure to pound them to a fine powder or grind with a spice grinder before using.
2. Pound the cinnamon stick in a mortar and pestle (or grind in a spice grinder) into a fine powder and sprinkle over the seeds. Mix.
3. Add 6 tbsp of water to a small saucepan and place on the stove over medium heat. Add jaggery to the pot and mix to dissolve. If needed, mash the pieces of jaggery as they soften to help them dissolve more easily.
4. Boil until the liquid has become a thin syrup that coats the spoon. Mix in vanilla essence if desired, then remove from the heat and immediately pour over the seed mixture. Mix to incorporate.
5. Brush a 23 x 13 cm (or a similar size) baking dish with oil, add in the seed mixture, and press down flat with the back of a spoon.
6. Bake in the oven at 150°C for 45 min. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
7. Remove the seed bar from the baking dish. You may need to run a knife or thin spatula around the edge of the dish to help loosen it.
8. Cut the seed bar into individual portion sizes and serve.
Shop Now -
Pumpkin Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/pumpkin-seeds
Sunflower Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sunflower-seeds
Sesame Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sesame-seeds-white
Flax Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/flax-seeds
Cinnamon Stick - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cinnamon-dal-chin
Sugarcane Jaggery - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sugarcane-jaggery