Roasted Veg and Grain Bowl Recipe
This bowl is a powerhouse of amazing ingredients. The mix of bright colors, rich flavors, and satisfying textures makes for an exciting eating experience. Soft, fluffy millet contrasts perfectly with crunchy greens and hearty vegetables. Roasting the veggies and chickpeas in the oven with only simple seasoning brings out their natural sweetness. And the combination of that flavor with the pungent mustard oil, earthy cumin, and tart lemon juice makes for a taste that really packs a punch.
Both rocket and spinach are rich in iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and a variety of vitamins. Chickpeas are high in protein, and contain several amino acids essential to the body. Fox tail millet is a great source of dietary fiber and has a lower Glycemic Index value than many other grains, meaning it causes a lower and slower release of sugar into the bloodstream. Sweet potatoes are full of beta-carotene, an antioxidant important in supporting eye strength. The balance of protein, healthy sources of carbohydrates, and abundant vitamins and minerals makes this dish the perfect package of nutrients.
For the bowl:
- ½ cup dry chickpeas (kabuli chana)
- ½ cup fox tail millet
- 50 grams (about 2 handfuls) raw leafy greens, such as rocket or spinach
- 100 grams (about ½) red bell pepper (shimala mirch)
- 200 grams (about ½) sweet potato (shakarkand)
- 100 grams (about ½) onion
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp ghee
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Prepare the chickpeas by soaking them overnight in several cups of water. The chickpeas should more than double in size and soften a bit. Drain the chickpeas, bring a pot of water to a boil, add in the chickpeas, reduce the heat to low, and simmer with the lid slightly uncovered for 40 minutes or until they are soft and tender. If using a pressure cooker, cook for only 20 minutes.
2. Prepare the millet by rinsing it in cold water, then leaving it to soak in several cups of water for one hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius Slice the bell pepper and onion into 1 cm thick slices and cut the sweet potatoes into 2 cm cubes. Spread the vegetables and chickpeas out on a baking dish. Drizzle them with 1 tbsp of melted ghee and toss to coat. Sprinkle the cumin and red chilli powder over the chickpeas. Season everything with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chickpeas are slightly crisp.
4. Drain the millet and add to a pot with 1+ ½ cups of water. Bring the water to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and cook with the lid on for 5 mins. Remove the lid and cook until all the water has evaporated (5-10 more minutes). Once cooked, stir in a generous pinch of salt and 1 tsp of melted ghee.
5. Heat 2 tbsp of mustard oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Thinly slice the garlic. Once the oil is just beginning to smoke, turn off the heat and immediately add in the garlic and cumin seeds. Once the seeds have settled and the oil has cooled, transfer to a small bowl and mix in the honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
6. Divide the millet into two bowls, place the greens beside it, and top with the roasted vegetables and chickpeas. Drizzle the dressing over top and serve. Serves 2 people.
Shop Now -
Red Chilli Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/red-chilli-powder
Cumin Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-powder
Black Pepper - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/black-pepper
Mustard Oil - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/mustard-oil
Cumin Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-seeds-jeera