Spiced Pear Cake Recipe
This gorgeous, delicately spiced tea cake is made from whole wheat atta and sprouted wheat sooji or semolina, and juicy seasonal pears.
We’ve used cinnamon and bay leaves here but you could play around with other flavours, too.
Try adding a few slivered almonds on top just before baking—these will add a delightful crunch to the cake.
- 1 cup whole wheat atta
- ½ cup sprouted wheat sooji
- ½ cup dairy whitener
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup thick buttermilk or whisked dahi
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and ½ pears, peeled and chopped thinly
- 4-5 bay leaves
1. Grease and line an 8-inch baking tin with parchment. Arrange 3-4 bay leaves on the bottom of the pan. Keep aside.
2. Place the chopped pears in a mixing bowl and toss with cinnamon powder and raw sugar.
3. Next, add the atta, sooji, dairy whitener, baking powder and baking soda, and mix.
4. Now, pour in the buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter and ½ cup milk. Mix gently with a spatula, ensuring there are no lumps.
5. Add more milk, two tablespoons at a time, if required to make a batter of dropping consistency.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees centigrade for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean.
7. Invert and serve upside down to show off the bay leaves on the bottom or serve right side up with a light dusting of icing sugar.
Shop Now -
Wheat Atta - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/wheat-flour
Sprouted Wheat Sooji - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sprouted-semolina-suji
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar
Cinnamon Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cinnamon-powder
Bay Leaf (Tej Patta) - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cinnamon-leaf-tej-patta