Sprouted Sooji and Coconut Halva Recipe
Try this Konkan-inspired light Sooji Halva with the addition of fresh coconut for a refreshing change. The raw sugar imparts a lovely caramel note while also reducing the overall glycemic index of the dish.
- 1 cup Sprouted Sooji
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- ½ cup (use ¾ cup if you like your Halva very sweet) Raw Sugar
- 2 and ½ cups milk (or water)
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground green cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger (sunth)
- 3 tablespoons Gir Cow Ghee
- Sliced nuts for garnish (optional)
- Place the sooji and ghee together in a pan. Roast on a low flame for 5-8 minutes or until the sooji begins to turn pink.
- Tip in the grated coconut and continue to roast for another minute or two until some of the moisture from the coconut is reduced.
- Now, add the milk and stir well. Cover and cook until all the moisture is absorbed and the sooji has almost doubled in volume.
- Add the sugar, cardamom and ginger and stir it all in quickly. Cover and cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat and allow the flavors to develop. Serve warm with a sprinkling of fresh coconut and sliced nuts, if liked.
Shop Now -
Sprouted Sooji - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sprouted-semolina-suji
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar