Timeless Sindhi Kadhi Recipe
A classic Sunday meal in a Sindhi household must include Kadhi-Chawal.
If this is accompanied by Aloo Tuk and Sweet Boondi, a siesta is guaranteed!
The trick to getting a robust flavor in the Kadhi is in roasting the Besan (roasted bengal gram flour) well—almost to the point that you would roast it for Besan Laddoos!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthways
- ½ inch ginger, julienned
- 1 and ½ cups mixed vegetables (Okra, pumpkin, drumstick, potatoes, eggplant, etc.), cubed or cut into 2 –inch lengths
- 4 tablespoons tamarind water
- 2 tablespoons Besan (roasted bengal gram flour)
- 3 tablespoons fresh tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons coriander seed powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Fry the vegetables with a pinch of salt until half-done. Remove.
2. In the same pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, ginger, chili and asafetida, and saute until fragrant.
3. Now add the Besan and roast well until pinkish brown in color and very fragrant.
4. Now add the tomato puree and whisk it in, making sure there are no lumps.
5. Return the vegetables to the pan and add about a liter of water. Add the turmeric and red chili powders, salt, and tamarind.
6. Bring the kadhi to a good boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are done and the kadhi has thickened.
7. Serve with hot rice!
Shop Now -
Mustard Seeds - https://consciousfood.com/product/mustard-seeds-rai-organic/
Cumin Seeds - https://consciousfood.com/product/cumin-seeds-jeera/
Fenugreek Seeds - https://consciousfood.com/product/fenugreek-seeds/
Tamarind Water - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/tamarind-imli
Besan (Bengal Gram Flour) - https://consciousfood.com/products/bengal-gram-flour-chana-atta/
Coriander Seed Powder - https://consciousfood.com/products/coriander-powder/
Turmeric Powder - https://consciousfood.com/products/turmeric-powder/
Red Chilli Powder - https://consciousfood.com/products/red-chilli-powder/