DIY Skincare with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil carries a nutty aroma that brings back memories of sitting in the balcony and getting a champi from our mothers and grandmothers. There is a reason why coconut oil is an integral part of every body’s hair care routine - it makes your hair lush, soft, and thick. Further, today, research has proved that this all-purpose oil is therapeutic for your skin too.
Why is coconut oil so beneficial?
Cold pressed coconut oil is packed with hydrating properties and is able to fight microbes within and outside the body. Loaded with good saturated fats, it helps the skin stay moisturized, with the fat preventing moisture loss through the skin’s pores. These fats lend the skin a healthy, smooth, radiant-looking shine.
These properties make it a naturally therapeutic oil and hence was used over the centuries by women (and yes, even men) to tone their skin, add luster to their hair and cook heavenly-smelling food with good nutrient value.
To ensure you make the most of this power oil in your daily skincare routine, we’ve listed the following DIY packs that you can make at home within minutes.
A Coco-Honey Face Mask
- Conscious Food’s Cold Pressed Coconut Oil
- 1 Teaspoon plain yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon raw honey
- Melt the coconut oil if it is frozen.
- Stir in plain yogurt and raw honey until it blends with the oil.
- Apply the mixture onto your face and neck with gentle upward strokes (avoid the eyes and the lip.) Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water. Rinse with cool water.
- Use twice weekly.
A Citrusy Moisturizer
- Juice of 2 small lemons
- 4 tablespoons of Conscious Food oil
- Mix lemon juice with the oil
- Apply on your face and leave it for a new, glowing you.
- A Coconut Face Wash
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1-2 drop/s of lavender essential oil or any other essential oils
- Mix the two oils
- Rub the oil in circular motions over your face and neck
- Tap gently and massage your skin
- Once done, rinse your face with water
Coconut oil’s naturally antibacterial, antifungal, and moisturizing properties make it a great cleansing face wash that helps keep acne (caused by pollution) at bay.
- Cocolicious Lip Scrub
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl
- Apply the paste as an exfoliating treatment before bed and wake up to softer, plumper and delicious lips each morning
- Either wash off or cleanse using a damp cloth
Coconut oil is high on vitamins and antioxidants and can promote cellular repair and prevent moisture loss. However, test the pack on a small patch of skin first to ensure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. Lastly, it is important to use Conscious Food's chemical-free coconut oil so that your skin can enjoy natural and rejuvenating care.