The Goodness of Ghee
With incredible healing and nutritious properties, Ghee occupies a special place in every Indian kitchen. Also known as clarified butter, this golden liquid brings forth glowing results for our bodies. Recently, many concerns about the quality and nutrient quantity of Ghee have many worried about consuming it. Many myths also surround Ghee’s effects on weight. However, Ghee, when bought from trusted sources with no added chemicals, is in fact rich in CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), which aids in weight loss and is packed with nutrients.
The different varieties of ghee impact the nutrition quality of Ghee, for example A1 and A2 Ghee. The differences lie in where each kind is sourced from and how it is produced. A1 Ghee comes from the milk of genetically modified cows called Holstein or Jersey cows. This Ghee contains a protein called Beta Casein, which is harmful to the body, negatively impacts health, and is less easy to digest.
A2 Ghee, on the other hand, is made from the indigenous and pure-bred Desi Gir cows. It is produced using the traditional hand churned “Bilona” process which minimizes the heat while maximizing the nutrients preserved. Within this process, the milk is first left to naturally curdle. Then the curd and water are hand churned until the nutrition dense fat or butter rises to the top. This butter is slow cooked on a low flame, with patience that bears the best quality Ghee for our homes.
The resulting Ghee has a rich, nutty, and grainy texture with numerous benefits for our overall health. Some of the benefits of its benefits are:
1. Rich source of nutrients: A2 Ghee, with minimal heat used during production, results in the preservation of its nutrients. This Ghee is rich in Omega 3 and 9 and vitamins B2 and B3 that help in lowering serum cholesterol. According to Ayurveda, adding one tablespoon of A2 Ghee to your morning black coffee turns your delicious beverage into a powerhouse of healthy fats and energy booster to get you started for a perfectly active day!
2. Improves digestion: A2 Ghee is easy to digest, making it a suitable choice for all age groups. It contains natural detoxifiers and butyric acid which aids in retaining nourishment. The Ghee has properties that help the body in breaking down the food more easily, aiding the digestive tract and increasing its ability to absorb nutrition from the food. This in turn helps build metabolism and aids in weight loss.
3. Anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties: Ghee works wonders as a soothing balm on burned skin, calming the irritation, and healing it over time. Due to the CLA, it is very effective in reducing inflammation. Ghee, applied on dry skin also nourishes it and incorporating it into the diet ensures that any inflammations in the gut are also healed. Additionally, applying Ghee to chapped lips can reduce the dryness and be rejuvenated.
4. Immunity Booster: With anti-oxidising properties, and improving the gut health, A2 Ghee builds immunity better than the rest. The fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K are great in developing brain, heart, and skin health, as well as in bone development. Thus, A2 Ghee is well suited to boost the body’s immunity and fight off infections.
5. Healthier alternative to cooking oil: A2 Ghee has a smoke point of about 450 degrees, as compared to the 350 degrees of butter or other cooking oil. Cooking oil with a lower smoke point leads to toxic fumes while cooking which may not only affect the health, but also the flavor of the food. With a higher smoking point, not only does the Ghee not produce the toxic smoke, but the nuttiness and richness of the A2 Ghee add to the flavor of the food.
With a shelf life of 12 months, A2 Ghee at Conscious Food comes from high breed Gir cows and prepared using the Bilona process. It is dense in nutrition and flavor, providing a wholesome, sustainably sourced, and authentic box of natural Ghee for your home.