This tangy-garlicky pickle has a relatively shorter shelf life not just because of the nature of its recipe, but because it is so delicious that it will barely make it beyond a month! Serve with dosas or crackers or simply mix into soft cooked rice with an additional drizzle of sesame oil for flavour.
- ½ teaspoon + ½ teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Pinch of asafoetida
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons Kashmiri chili powder
- 6-7 medium-sized tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Betelnut-sized tamarind, soaked in ¼ cup hot water
- 10-12 cloves of garlic, peeled and bruised
- 10-12 curry leaves
1. Dry roast the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds together in a pan until fragrant. Remove and grind to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of sesame oil in a pan and add the turmeric powder.
3. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and the salt and sauté. Turn down the heat to medium and cover. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the tomatoes soften.
3. Meanwhile, extract the tamarind juice and keep ready.
4. Now add the tamarind juice, chili powder and the coarsely ground fenugreek and mustard to the tomatoes. Mix well
5. Cook uncovered for a further 7-8 minutes or until the tomatoes reduce and begin to look glossy.
6. In a separate pan, heat the other 3 tablespoons of sesame oil. To this, add the mustard seeds, garlic, curry leaves, and asafetida (in that order) and allow to crackle.
7. Once the garlic begins to turn pink, add the tempering to the tomatoes.
8. Mix well and simmer until the mixture begins to look like jam and the oil separates along the sides.
9. Allow to cool completely; then fill into sterilized jars and refrigerate for 4-5 weeks.
Shop Now -
Mustard Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/mustard-seeds-rai-organic
Fenugreek Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/fenugreek-seeds
Sesame Oil - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sesame-oil-2
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/kashmiri-red-chilli-powder