You wouldn’t commonly think of adding whole wheat grains like rice or jowar to a salad, but their close cousin, Barley, serves the purpose rather fabulously and easily.
This is also an excellent way to use up the barley leftover from making Barley water!
- 1 cup barley, soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- 1 sweet lime, segmented
- 1 orange, segmented
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 beetroot, boiled and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup cashew halves, toasted
- ½ cup Red Amaranth leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup Spinach leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup mint leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup fresh malai paneer, cubed
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon Rock Salt
- 2 teaspoons Raw Sugar
- Freshly ground black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook the barley in 3 cups water and a little salt until tender (you could also pressure cook). Drain and allow to cool.
2. Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients and whisking vigorously.
3. Toss all the salad ingredients and the dressing together and serve immediately.
Shop Now -
Rock Salt - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/rock-salt
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar