Makhanas or Foxtail nuts are fasting-friendly not just because they’re “permitted” foods but also because they are packed with nutrition.
Skip the curry leaves and turmeric and replace the roasted gram with other nuts in this recipe to make it fasting-compliant or play around with your favourite spice mixes (try Molagapodi!) and dried fruit for a variation.
- 1 pack Makhana
- 2 teaspoons Gir Cow Ghee
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- a large pinch of Asafoetida
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon roasted Cumin Powder
- Rock Salt, to taste
- ¼ cup peanuts
- ¼ cup roasted gram
- ¼ cup black raisins
1. Roast the Makhana in a dry pan for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Remove.
2. In the same pan, add the ghee. When it is hot, add the asafetida, turmeric, curry leaves, peanuts, gram and raisins.
3. Toss well to coat.
4. Next, add the Makhana, cumin seed powder and chaat masala and continue to toss over medium heat until the Makhana are well coated and crisp.
5. Cool and store in an air-tight container.
Shop Now -
Gir Cow Ghee - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/gir-cow-ghee
Turmeric Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/turmeric-powder
Cumin Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-powder
Rock Salt - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/rock-salt