These classic Iyengar Bakery-style “Khaara” or savoury biscuits are very popular in Karnataka, and with good reason.
They’re a delicate mix of herby flavours and just the slightest hint of sweet for balance. This recipe uses ghee, which makes the cookies nutty and crisp.
Tip: Try using the cookie dough to make a pie crust!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (Gehun ka Atta)
- ½ cup all purpose flour (Maida)
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour (Besan)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon yogurt (dahi)
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tablespoons fresh green coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ½ cup Gir Cow Ghee (not melted)
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
1. First, mix the dry ingredients together—the atta, maida, besan, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
Shop Now -
Whole Wheat Flour (Gehun ka Atta) - https://www.consciousfood.com/collections/flours/products/wheat-flour
All Purpose Flour (Maida) - https://www.consciousfood.com/collections/flours/products/maida-all-purpose-flour
Chickpea Flour (Besan) - https://www.consciousfood.com/collections/flours/products/bengal-gram-flour-chana-atta
Rock Salt - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/rock-salt
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar
Cumin Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-seeds-jeera
Gir Cow Ghee - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/gir-cow-ghee