Millets are an amazing substitute for rice – packed with lots of nutrients such as magnesium, copper and phosphorus and dietary fibre! Here’s @bowledoverbykari’s take on a traditional lemon rice, but made using our foxtail millet. Happy cooking!
- 1 cup of foxtail millet
- 1 and 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 5-8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2-3 green chilies sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 capsicum diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
1. Soak the foxtail millets for an hour, once soaked in a pot add the water and the millets. Cover and let it cook for 20 minutes until the millets are cooked. Take a fork and fluff it and set aside.
2. In a pan, heat the oil and add the peanuts and cook until the peanuts are browned.
3. Add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, urad dal, curry leaves, turmeric and chilies and mix and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute
4. Add the onion, ginger and capsicum. Sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
5. Add the cooked foxtail millets and salt and toss it gently until the millets turn yellow. Slowly add in the tomatoes.
6. Switch off the heat and add the lemon juice. Stir to combine and adjust the seasoning as per your taste.
Shop Now -
Mustard Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/mustard-seeds-rai-organic
Cumin Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-seeds-jeera