- 3⁄4 cup Toor dal
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup vegetables - carrots, potato, brinjal, drumstick, green peas - chopped
- 7-8 shallots - quartered
- 4 medium sized tomatoes - chopped
- 2 tbsps Conscious Foods Sambar Masala
- 2 tbsps Tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves - finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp hing
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 3 tbsps groundnut oil
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp groundnut oil
- 1⁄2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 dry red chillies
- 3-4 curry leaves
- Rinse and soak toor dal for 30 mins. Pressure cook toor dal with turmeric powder and salt to upto 3 whistles. Switch off the flame and let the steam release naturally. Open the cooker and gently mash the dal using a potato masher.
- In a separate pot, cook the veggies together in 3 cups of water for around 7-8 mins on medium flame. Add a little salt. Drain and keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil and sizzle the hing and mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, urad dal and green chillies. Sauté for a min.
- Add in the quartered shallots and let it cook until it turns soft. Add in the tomatoes and cook until it releases oil and looks mush. Mix in the cooked vegetables, salt to taste, conscious foods sambar masala.
- Now add the cooked toor dal with all the water in it. Mix everything well, cover the pan and let it simmer for 5 mins on low flame.
- Mix in the finely chopped coriander leaves.
To Temper -
Heat oil and ghee and sizzle all the tempering ingredients for a min. Pour it over the cooked sambar.