Sprouted Split Wheat or Dalia makes for a convenient and nutrition-rich alternative to rice and bread in our everyday diet.
Try this simple recipe to take it up a notch and fix a hearty, healthy meal for the family in a matter of minutes.
- 1 cup Conscious Food Sprouted Split Wheat (Dalia)
- 1 + 1 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6-8 cashew halves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 3 green cardamom
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 and ½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1 and ½ cup mixed vegetables, cubed (pumpkin, ash gourd, drumstick, okra, carrots, beans, etc.)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 inch piece ginger, julienne
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 green chilli, slit
1. First, make the couscous. Wash and soak the split wheat in water.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a pot. Add 1 bay leaf, a green cardamom, and the cashew halves. Sauté briefly until the cashews just begin to change colour.
3. Tip in the onions and sauté until the raw smell goes away and the onions turn translucent.
4. Drain the split wheat and add it to the pot. Add salt and sauté briefly. Then add 2 and ½ cups water and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed.
5. Now, make the stew. Heat the other 1 teaspoon of oil in a separate pan. Add the bay leaf, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamom, chili, and ginger. Sauté briefly.
6. Now, add the garlic and the mixed vegetables. Add salt.
7. Mix 1 cup of water with ¼ cup of coconut milk and add this to the pan. Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
8. Add the remaining coconut milk, stir briefly and switch off the heat.
9. Serve the split wheat “couscous” warm with piping hot stew.
Shop Now -
Sprouted Split Wheat (Dalia) - https://consciousfood.com/products/sprouted-wheat-dalia/
Vegetable oil - https://www.consciousfood.com/collections/ghee-oils
Bay leaves - https://consciousfood.com/products/cinnamon-leaf-tej-patta/
Cinnamon - https://consciousfood.com/products/cinnamon-dal-chini/
Green cardamom - https://consciousfood.com/product/cardamom-elaichi/
Black peppercorns - https://consciousfood.com/product/black-pepper/
Salt - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sea-salt