Hearty Kidney Bean Soup Recipe
This Mexican-inspired kidney bean soup makes for a great one pot dinner for those rushed week nights.
The cheesy tortilla chips make for a great topping, turning an average soup into an indulgence.
Serve this soup in large soup mugs and call the family to dine at the window or in the balcony as you take in the cool breeze.
- 1 cup kidney beans (rajma), soaked for 6-8 hours
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of celery, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Corn chips
- Grated cheese (a mix of cheddar and mozzarella will work perfectly)
1. Pressure-cook the soaked kidney beans in 2 cups of water and a little salt until soft. Mash the kidney beans lightly; this will help thicken the soup.
2. Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pot. Now tip in the garlic and celery and saute briefly. Add the onions and bell peppers and sweat them until the raw smell disappears.
3. Add the tomatoes and salt. Cook until the tomatoes break down.
4. Now, add the dried oregano, chili flakes, and cumin powder, followed by the cooked kidney beans.
5. Add water to adjust consistency and bring the pot to a rolling boil. Turn down the heat and cook until thickened to your liking.
6. Meanwhile, place the corn chips on a lightly greased baking tray and top with grated cheese. Bake these in a preheated oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 7-8 minutes.
7. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top with the cheesy corn chips. Eat immediately!
Shop Now -
Kidney Beans ( Rajma ) - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/kidney-beans-rajma
Cumin Seed Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-powder