Konkani Kokum Saar with Ghee Tadka Recipe
The monsoon may have made a late appearance but the evenings are still cool enough to want a warming beverage before dinner.
This no fuss Kokum Saar could as well be called “Essence of Kokum” because that is what it is.
Not to be confused with Sol Kadhi, which has coconut milk and is usually had chilled.
- 8-10 Kokam Petals
- 1 litre of water
- 2 teaspoons Sugarcane Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1½ teaspoons Gir cow ghee
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled and bashed (optional)
- 2 dried red chilies, broken into two
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida/Hing
1. Soak the Kokum petals in a pot of water for 10-12 minutes, rubbing them slightly to release the flavor and color.
2. Now, add the salt and jaggery and place the pot on medium heat and bring it to a gentle boil.
3. Meanwhile, make the tempering: heat the ghee in a separate pan
4. Add cumin seeds, dried red chilies, asafetida and curry leaves and wait for the cumin to splutter. Once it does, add this to the pot of Kokum water.
5. Boil the Saar for 4-5 minutes and serve hot in a soup mug. You can also eat it over soft-cooked short grain rice.
Shop Now -
Sugarcane Jaggery - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sugarcane-jaggery
Gir Cow Ghee - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/gir-cow-ghee
Cumin Seeds - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cumin-seeds-jeera