This fail-proof recipe for Gingerbread Cookies is a must do on your holiday list. Bring out the cookie cutters and strap the aprons on the kids.
Don’t miss the easy-peasy icing; you can play around with colours too, if you like! This batch makes about 25 medium-sized cookies.
- 1.5 cups Maida
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder (Sunth)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- a pinch of salt
- ½ cup butter (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- ¼ cup molasses or liquid jaggery
- ½ an egg, beaten lightly
- grated zest of one lime
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
1. In a mixing bowl, place the maida, baking soda, baking powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder, and salt and mix well using a whisk. Keep aside.
2. In a stand mixer, place the butter and sugar and beat well until combined and light (you can do this in a mixing bowl with a whisk as well).
3. Next, add egg (beat one whole egg but only use half) and the molasses and beat again until combined.
4. Now, add the lime zest and vanilla and mix again, briefly.
5. Tip in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until the dough comes together. You should be able to shape it into a ball but it should not be too soft.
6. If the mixture is too crumbly even when pressed into a ball, add a few drops of milk and mix again.
7. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into desired shapes.
8. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment, slightly apart.
9. Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 8-10 minutes until browned (they will firm up as they cool).
10. Cool completely.
11. Meanwhile, make the icing by simply mixing the icing sugar and lime juice together to get a dropping consistency.
12. Fill the icing into a piping bag and snip off the tiniest possible corner.
13. Decorate the cooled cookies and leave the cookies undisturbed for an hour for the icing to set.
14. Store in an airtight box for 15-20 days.
Shop Now -
Maida - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/maida-all-purpose-flour
Cinnamon Powder - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/cinnamon-powder
Cloves - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/clove-lavang
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar