Try this Konkan-inspired light Sooji Halva with the addition of fresh coconut for a refreshing change.
The raw sugar imparts a lovely caramel note while also reducing the overall glycemic index of the dish.
- 1 cup Sprouted Sooji
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- ½ cup (use ¾ cup if you like your Halva very sweet) Raw Sugar
- 2 and ½ cups milk (or water)
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground green cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger (sunth)
- 3 tablespoons Gir Cow Ghee
- Sliced nuts for garnish (optional)
1. Place the sooji and ghee together in a pan. Roast on a low flame for 5-8 minutes or until the sooji begins to turn pink.
2. Tip in the grated coconut and continue to roast for another minute or two until some of the moisture from the coconut is reduced.
3. Now, add the milk and stir well. Cover and cook until all the moisture is absorbed and the sooji has almost doubled in volume.
4. Add the sugar, cardamom and ginger and stir it all in quickly. Cover and cook for another minute.
5. Turn off the heat and allow the flavors to develop. Serve warm with a sprinkling of fresh coconut and sliced nuts, if liked.
Shop Now -
Sprouted Sooji - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/sprouted-semolina-suji
Raw Sugar - https://www.consciousfood.com/products/raw-sugar